Thursday, December 4, 2008

Struggling at juggling

Yesterday my balls came crashing down (that's what she said).  


I've been juggling lots of things.  My job getting more insane by the minute.  My upcoming move.  My car needing to go into the shop for the second time this weekend (DON'T ASK.  It's another post in itself).  My outside of work design stuff.  My semi-serious insomnia.  The phrase stretching myself too thin means a little more to me now.  It was inevitable that when yesterday's news of mandatory overtime for the next two weeks made its way to me, I'd just meltdown.  And I did.  And I chose to do it in my boss's office.

Yes, that's right.  I cried at work.  For about an hour.  Luckily for me, working in a building of a bazillion men, I have a boss who is a female.  And she's emotional.  And she let me sit in her office, behind closed doors and rant and rave and cry and bitch and moan.  And she gave me what could possibly be the best advice for a super duper stress puppy like myself.

"What can we fix right now?  Nothing.  So instead of looking at it like a big heavy rope, let's take it apart.  Let's unbraid it, strand by strand.  What's the first thing we can fix?"

Such amazing advice for me.  She also said she knows my tendencies to take on the world, and feel the need to handle everything myself when really I should delegate more or simply say no.  So last night after getting home from the gym, I took the night off.  I didn't pack.  I didn't work on Lauren's Save the Date cards (in fact I post-poned my tele-meeting with her until tonight), I didn't answer my phone.  Instead, I ate a Greek salad with my boyfriend and watched Atonement, sitting amongst a wall of boxes that he packed yesterday while I was at work melting down.  I guess if you're going to have a quarter-life crisis it's nice to have someone to pass some of your balls to.  

2 comments:

Jmeg said...

hope the strands start to get fixed too! hang in there girlie and take it one step at a time. as another person to spreads myself thin. the nice breaks of just a movie and J time will help a lot. love you!

Joanna said...

Agree with Jamie on all counts. I hope everything gets straightened out. Just think...in 3 weeks, you'll be relaxing in KC with friends and family. Everything will be ok :) Love you too.