If you were wondering if I cried through the "what you're thankful for" portion of Thanksgiving dinner, your answer is yes. For the second year in a row. At J's folks' dinner table.
I truly think it's one of the best traditions there is, one that my family never adopted. Last year I was so nervous as it got closer to my turn. Partly because I get nervous speaking in crowds larger than 3. But also due to J's parents' home renovations and the fact that the cold temps in the house made cooking longer than normal and we didn't sit down to dinner until 9pm...even though wine had been flowing since 11am. So as soon as J's aunt Bryn starts to say what she was thankful for, she started to tear up, and then we locked eyes and shared a small sob. Because we're saps. I ended up botching my somewhat prepared statement about being so thankful to be accepted into such a wonderful loving family, and it ended up coming out like, "I'm thankful for this table!" Seriously. And J went on to profess how he was thankful that we'd started to build a wonderful life together and we don't need anything else since we have each other. But his girlfriend was thankful for the table!
This year I was determined to ace it. I mean, it's been a great year! I'm engaged! My mom was sitting there with me! I replaced my job (sort of)! We have an amazing place to live and don't have to move anytime soon! I've got a (future) niece who is amazing and wonderful and asks for me by name! And wouldn't you know, Aunt Bryn starts sharing her thanks for her family and its new members, and she named the babies that were born this year. And then she says my name. And I looked over at her and we both started crying. Again. Flash forward through the next 15 family members (including Grandaddy who was thankful for all of God's creatures, big and small...so sweet!) and then it was my turn. I know I managed to say I was thankful my mom was able to come out and visit and I was even more thankful for the reason she was visiting -- "Wedding dress shopping!" Yes, that's what came out of my mouth. What I intended on saying was how thankful I am to be planning a marriage to my best friend, the most amazing person I've ever known. Tables and wedding dress shopping, that's what I'm thankful for! Sigh...
Luckily, I'd managed to give my mom about two minutes' prior notice so she aced her profession of thankfulness. And of course so did J, who made me cry even harder. And Miss Berkley, 20-month-old leap day baby extraordinaire, what was she thankful for? "BOATS!" I kid you not. She apparently also prays for them at night. Smart girl.

1 comments:
That is so sweet, I think i'll opt to start that tradition at "whatever" table i'm in next year! Hope you are wonderful, and the planning is fun!
Post a Comment