Monday, December 21, 2009

Think, "Warm."

It all came out this weekend.


I didn't know we were keeping it a secret from our parents, but apparently so. During a phone conversation with my dad on Saturday, I mentioned my pact with J. "What pact is that?" Oh just how we haven't turned on our heat yet this year, and how we're holding out for January. "WHAT!?!" asked my dad. The next question was why.

It started in October, when we'd have one week of coldish fall weather, and then a week of 70s. And then in November, where yes, the temps dropped lower yet, but there was always a week of sunshine around the bend. So we layered up, under blankets, stole body heat from dogs. As I write this, it is currently 33 outside and 57 inside. Not the worst we've had.

So after my dad somewhat laughed at us/commended us for our frugality, (my answer to "WHY!?!" was, "It's a matter of principle for us.") I had to get ready for J's mom's choir concert with the symphony orchestra. It was a lovely Christmas concert, made even more special because as I ran downstairs to meet my date (J's dad) it was snowing -- hard! Well, for southeast Virginia at least. Of course by the time the concert ended -- with a carol sing-a-long! -- the snow had only covered about 1/3 inch on cars and that was all. Boo. But it did bring me to mention how chilly it would be at home.

"Why?" J's mom asked. I asked her, hadn't J told her about our wintry weather pact? After she too ridiculed us and laughed, she offered up something that we've been meaning to buy, but have not (which should tell you just how not miserable we have been) -- a space heater. Glorious plentiful instant heat coming out of a tiny box! We picked it up last night after helping them decorate their Christmas tree. I think I've mentioned that his family shares our same tradition of John Denver & the Muppets around Christmas, so there was no better way to warm our hearts with Kermit and Miss Piggy singing songs from my childhood. And then of course to go home and warm our hands and feet by the fire hazard.*


*If I haven't stressed this enough, J is just as paranoid as I am. The space heater is called "Family Safety Space Heater." It has a timer on it. But no, we will use it and then turn it off manually. Golly, I love that man. :)

2 comments:

emmy-ray said...

We live, and will probably die someday by space heaters in this house. Totally a necessity.

LP said...

We have a heat dish in our house, and keep our heat very low, or atleast we will be after we received the bill for last month!