Monday, April 5, 2010

Skype it up

I don't think it's a secret that I pretty much hate technology. It started with the distrust of the DVD player (or as well called it, "The Devil's Video Device") in college. I don't have an iPhone. I don't even have the data package activated on my blackberry anymore. So when I get lost while driving, I have to call people and ask them to help me find my way. I kind of prefer my simpler way of life.

However, one bit of technology I have embraced fully is Skype. I'd originally joined to keep in touch with a friend who moved to the Middle East, but when it was mentioned by my girl Laura, I jumped at the opportunity to see her "face-to-face" while we chat. And of all the Skype dates we've had so far, this was the first that guest starred Baby Ryan James, Most Adorable Baby Ever. It was great seeing his teeth and his eyes and his ears and his belly (he showed me all of these) and also hearing his sweet voice.

He pulled off his mama's black hat and wore it for the first few minute of our chat. I was able to wow him by grabbing a black hat and suddenly appearing on screen with a similar hat. And of course Laura noticed it was the beret from my Monica Lewinsky Halloween a few years back.

And then last night, two people who embrace technology far less often than me, joined me on Skype. My parents. Why do they have a Skype account? Well, that's because they love Laura more than they love me (I tell her she's Marcia Marcia Marcia and I'm Jan Brady) and they get on there to talk with her and John. I fear they might've hit her up last night, because during our conversation, my mom exclaimed, "Oh! Laura just signed on!" :)

You'll see that Leo joined me for some quality time with his Grandma and his Aunt Ruby. I had to remind my mom that dogs understand less about technology than we do, and so when she kept saying, "Point to Ruby so he understands!" that he probably won't ever comprehend talking to his friends over the internet. Because he's a dog.

4 comments:

AndyandLex said...

please oh pretty please share your secret skype name with team weymouth so we can say hi and hello more often than less....and you can see the weybabies as they grow....and they can see leo. i meAN REALLY, after 6 years doesn't look like we're getting any closer to obtaining Truman-the-white-golden-retriever so at least lallie will haev a virtual pups.

and embrace the iPhone. its a new lovely part of my life.

AndyandLex said...

please oh pretty please share your secret skype name with team weymouth so we can say hi and hello more often than less....and you can see the weybabies as they grow....and they can see leo. i meAN REALLY, after 6 years doesn't look like we're getting any closer to obtaining Truman-the-white-golden-retriever so at least lallie will haev a virtual pups.

and embrace the iPhone. its a new lovely part of my life.

Lowa said...

It surely was wonderful to skype with you, it was the highlight of my day. I have not talked with Les and Marv since that one night, I feel like I haven't been online a whole lot the past couple days. Hope you're feeling better love.

Jmeg said...

LMAO - I can just imagine the part with Les telling you to point to Ruby. :) made me giggle...