In preparation for departure on Wednesday, we both agreed to make some CDs for the trip. I decided that since we're headed to Tennessee, and since we'll be driving through such famously country-esque places like Roanoke, Chattanooga, and Johnson City, I'll be returning to my roots: COUNTRY! And as I flipped through my old CDs to compile an awesome mix of George Strait, the Chicks, and others, I started seeing some other CDs that made me a little misty-eyed.

These were CDs entitled, "608 New Hall Soundtrack," "Spring Break NOLA," and "PCB Mix." Special soundtracks we had crafted to capture our emotions of the moment, or to provide us with tunes for a trip. And they were compiled by 4 girls between 4 and 8 years ago, and they included songs like Born in the USA, Benny and the Jets, and that dang Crash Test Dummies song. They were songs that demanded we sang along, or pumped our fists in the air. Mind-boggling, isn't it? I'm celebrating my 4-year graduation anniversary this week, and it is crazy to think in those terms. Not so much where I am in my life now, but where I used to be.

Aside from the fact that I was dating a sociopath who broke my heart every other week and I refused to listen to reason (and our solution for this was the "Man-hater CD"), I remember being ecstatic all the time. I had the best friends a girl could ask for, and what's even better, is I still have them. Every day was an adventure...and 9 times out of 10 it was an adventure that required we made new t-shirts for the trip. And if that wasn't enough, sometimes we purchased t-shirts when we got there, too.
By the time I left school, I had a delicious array of shirts proudly proclaiming where we'd been, and what we'd done. The Endymion Ball in New Orleans, the Elvis Presley hot spots tour en route to Panama City Beach...even one that said "I suck heads" on the front--HEY, HEY, now, we were talking about crawfish in Louisiana, sick-o!

As I am getting ready to set out as "Queen of the Open Road" with a new roadtrip partner, I keep thinking it's just too bad we don't have matching customized outfits to wear. As I crawl into bed in a few minutes wearing my Graceland t-shirt, just know that I'm thinking about you guys tonight. And I miss you so much it hurts to breathe. Well, that, and my new roadtrip partner farts a lot.

2 comments:
Thanks for brightening my day! So nice to have a little trip down memory lane! Hope you guys have a great time - cant wait to see pics. Love ya and be safe!!
oh i love the old pictures. and that you have them on your computer. back that baby up, we are going to need these. hope you have a wonderful trip. lets be sure to chat soon when you get back to civilization.
Post a Comment