Tuesday, June 9, 2009

eHarmonization

Last night one of J's friends (who shall remain nameless) came over to hang out.  He recently went through a breakup that frankly was for the best; this girl did not deserve his sweetness, his cuteness and his generosity.  Since the breakup, he's been coming over more often, and as J puts it, "It's our duty to help make sure the breakup sticks."


So it came as no surprise when J told me that his buddy had signed up for eHarmony.  He wanted to see what was out there, and he wanted to see what was out there NOW.  And had been going out on dates with girls.  Normal girls.  And last night, he wanted to tell us about it.  He pulled up his account and explained to us the process of the rounds of communication, like sending each other questions and answers.

I shouted, "Oh I LOVE surveys!  And questionnaires with lots and lots of answer choices!"

Since he'd arrived at our house, a girl had completed the next round of communication and so he pulled it up and let us read it.

I shouted, "She loves her dog, eating at new restaurants, and compassionate people -- me too!  Oh she hates angry, lazy, rude, close-minded people!  So do I!  We like her already!"

He answered her back with his list of "must haves" and "can't stands."  Like, must have compassion, can't stand a victim-mentality.  Must be open to his religious beliefs, can't stand someone who puts others down all the time.  It was all very enlightening, and not just because I could see his ex-girlfriend woven into all of his "can't stand" answers.  And perhaps just a little too interesting to me because I had just watched "He's Just Not That Into You."  I couldn't stifle a giggle when he said, "I can't send this back to her right away...she's gonna think I'm desperate!" and J's response to him was, "Dude, it's a Monday night, not a Saturday night...go for it."  Haha, it's too much fun being on the other side of the playing field and seeing their thoughts on dating.  

As I excused myself to go to bed early last night, I wished him luck on his date tonight with another girl, but told him to tell me how it goes with the girl from tonight.  

"Let us know how we do."

0 comments: