Last night was a huge milestone. So far, with wedding planning, it is all kind of like a fantasy. Sure you're planning something, but at this point it's just me making a ton of calls, signing contracts, making a few choices...but it never really feels like we're moving forward because I don't have anything tangible to show for it. It's not like I just had a surreal first fitting, like Lil Joj!!!
But now, I have a lack of tangible. I have no engagement ring. But it's a good thing.
We ordered my wedding band last night! And it's being made from a cast of my engagement ring. So while my wedding band will be brand new, it will match all the subtle details and old charm of my heirloom ring. I'm so excited!
But I'm also impatient. When I asked our jeweler how long the process usually takes, he said, "Not long." And while I settled for that in the store, as soon as we were in the car I turned to J and said, "Umm, 'not long' to me means next week...think there's a chance?"
In the meantime, to prevent myself from having a panic attack every time I realize my finger is bare, I'm wearing a fill-in ring. Something interesting has happened since I've been engaged. The rings I used to wear on my left finger are too big now due to my permanent "ring ridge." Specifically, my mother's promise ring from my dad. So I ended up choosing a simple sapphire in an ornate gold band that my dad bought for me on a trip to Asia while still in the military. I am pretty sure if I tell him that a ring he gave me is my stand-in during this process, he'll probably cry. Scratch that--he'll definitely cry.

1 comments:
Aww, sweet. And I can picture Marv now, all smiles and teary-eyed :) Please say you'll take a picture of your band when you get it! Here's to hoping for next week!
Post a Comment