J broke the news to me that he was "joining the gym" on Saturday. Unsuccessfully trying to conceal my excitement, I suggested let's go nownownownow. We went and signed up under the family plan (yes, I realize this is a lie...for now. But we share all the household finances and chores, and I call our gang a family, so I just ask the YMCA to respect that title) and decided today would be our first trip.
The first thing out of his mouth this morning was, "You ready to go workout?" which both excited me to have a partner in this task of getting fit, but it also scared me. This is why: he wants me to start swimming with him. I should back up here and explain that my boyfriend used to swim in college. And before that, in high school. Before that, elementary school, and before that...in his mama's tummy. But I agreed, since he told me he'd try a spinning class with me after I swam with him. I mean, I can swim. But I've never tried to lap swim.
We get into the pool, me in my sleek one-piece I'd managed to find on sale. I looked the part. I looked like a swimmer...broad shoulders, black swimsuit, shiny new black goggles. I looked fierce. And after just a few 50s, the reality set in. Whoa, it's hard to breathe. I'm not very good. We spent an hour in the pool and by the time we got out, I was so tired. Trying to figure out how to position my head to breathe while swimming freestyle will be my newest task, since after an hour I was still having trouble. But can I just say that my whole body feels...tingly? And my arms are sore. But I am going to try to keep up with it, not with him, that's not possible. J's extremely fast. But I am going to try to stick with it, working out with him on the weekends, and stick to my weekday gym activities. I hate finding out that I'm not good at something, so I want to keep going.
Ok, I need to go lay down now. My rubber arms hurt just typing.

2 comments:
I compared the how tired you feel after lap swimming to your first month of pregnancy. That's why I've only done each one time :)
I have been surfing the net for a one piece, as I have been wanting to start swimming, too (where did you find it?)...I was on a swim team in junior high, but that's the extent of my experience...it's hard! Works every muscle in the body, as my dad likes to say :) We'll be fit and toned in no time!
Post a Comment