Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's not you, it's me.

It started back when J and I had only been together a month or two.  We stopped by a neighborhood dive for a lager and were enjoying ourselves when we overheard the conversation of the couple seated next to us.  They were in the middle of a break-up.  He had cheated on her, but insisted it didn't mean anything.  There were tears and a really long awkward hug.


The awkwardness of that situation was once again realized when we were out celebrating a special occasion at a really nice (and romantic??) restaurant.  We were seated next to a couple who just weren't speaking to each other during their meals, and then decided to have it out after the check came.  They were ending things too.  You could tell they were going to continue that one after they stormed out.

Just tonight we were out walking the dogs and decided to stop at one of our favorite sandwich shops where we can sit out on the patio with the poochies.  While J was inside ordering a grilled veggie sub and philly cheese steak (I'll let you figure out which was mine), I couldn't help but overhear the conversation of the couple next to us.  It wasn't hard; this girl was practically yelling.  It was obviously a terrible conversation to be having, believe me, I don't think back on those days fondly.  But what was interesting was listening to this poor girl.  She was trying to reason with him about why he should stay with her, and not the OTHER girl he was leaving her for.  She kept asking him why.  Why not her.  Why the other woman?  It broke my heart listening to it.

We discussed our tendencies to sit next to couples in the process of ending their relationship, and it's happened to us at least four times, possibly five.  It's kind of an odd occurrence and we recognize this, but it also makes us remember how lucky we are and we should never take that for granted.  We've both been in that poor girl's shoes.  We've both been dumped.  We both know the pain of having someone tell you that no, you're not the right choice.  But the thing I couldn't help but think as we walked away with our matching mid-size rescued mutts, the thing I wish I could've told that girl is that you should just leave him now.  Because you can't get here from there.

0 comments: