When I was in college, there was a funny little tradition with my girlfriends. Specifically Joanna. Whenever we'd come out of a movie or restaurant, we'd check our cell phones to see who'd called us. More often than not, it was usually zero. But being the wise crackers that we still are, we'd say, "Geez, FIVE missed calls???" It never got old.
So imagine my surprise when I was leaving work yesterday (Side note: Uncle Sam keeps my cell phone locked up farrrr away from my desk, so I usually check it once at lunch and then pick it up on my way out of the building), and I see that I've missed EIGHT calls? And THREE voicemails? And THREE "urgent messages"??? First off, I didn't even know what this crazy urgent text message sent from my voicemail was, but it brings me back to: someone way reeeeally trying to get a hold of me. And from an unknown number at that.
Just having made it through the conclusion of "Jetta: A VW in Crisis, part 83" I am still on edge when I receive phone calls from unknown numbers, especially during the day. That's when evil insurance companies (not my own!) like to do their bidding. I called my voicemail.
Urgent message 1. "Hi, umm, this is ________ from the City Treasurer's office. I need to speak with you about the license and paperwork you sent in for Leo last week. Please call me." Hmm...can't figure out what would be urgent there? Is Leo being deported? Have they found out this is his first city license in 5 years? Are they back-billing me?
Urgent messages 2 and 3 were quite similar, only the young man was audibly more nervous at the end of the workday. So I called him back. Do you know what that poor underpaid city employee told me? That he'd misplaced my check for Leo's license in what he kept reiterating as a change over to a "new process." And could I please, pretty please oh please, get a new check in the mail to him so he doesn't get in trouble?
Perhaps it was the fact that I was prepared for impending doom, perhaps it was because I was in a good mood at the end of the day, or perhaps it was knowing that this young man had spent his day agonizing over how this unknown person-on-paper would take this news. It isn't a commercial business, after all, where he could just comp me the $5...this is the City we're talking about. And I'm sure working in the Treasury office he's dealt with his fair share of REALLY PLEASANT PEOPLE.
After taking control of my giggles (seriously, this man was being so polite and I counted no less than 10 "I'm So Sorries!"), I said, "Don't worry about it, it's a Monday, things happen." And after about 10 "Thank Yous!" I got off the phone, chuckled a little more, and silently prayed that this little bit of humor, some patience and a dash of understanding would initiate the next round of good karma. Better yet in my case, Car-ma. Either way, Leo will be a legal man come Friday.

0 comments:
Post a Comment