Yesterday was a day of over-indulgence; it was the catering and cake-tasting day.
The first place we went to was just amazing. It was really busy (just how I'd want my wedding cake bakery to be!), but the lady who helped us was just soo apologetic that we had to wait for ten minutes. I would've waited an hour in a place like that, with its smell of sweet frosting. She gave us a reasonable quote on what we want and was really accommodating. This became even more apparent when we went to the next place and realized that our proposed cake idea wasn't as cut and dry for some. But place #1 handed us a sample tray as we walked out, and we'd annihilated the entire tray in 15 minutes. Perhaps 10, if I'm being honest. That was some delicious cake!
The next bakery? Let's just say that J and I laughed so hard after we left that I almost gave myself an asthma attack. While place #2 (ha) smelled and looked wonderful, they had such odd, yet strict, rules about what they would or wouldn't do. You want a 6" white cake? No, they don't do that -- only white almond! Well, thank you very much, but you can keep your white almond. Also, they don't "do" a few of the other requests we had. And I consider what we want to be such simple things -- no. We were left to tally up the quote on our own, and as we discovered on the way home, they'd recommended about 3 times as much cake as the first bakery. Sorry, "Jenny," but this ain't my first wedding cake rodeo.
On top of everything else, we visited the bakeries after a HUGE lunch--excuse me, tasting--with our caterer. So when we headed out to talk cake, we were already tired and full and dreaming of naps. Plus the extremely loud and snobby vegetarian bride who sat to my right couldn't keep her eyes off my man -- but I don't blame her; J's quite a catch AND he provides thoughtful feedback, while her fiance was giving the old, "Oh I don't care...whatever," line, whilst talking fantasy football with one of the other grooms. My groom? He was helping me take notes on what we wanted to add to our menu. Have I mentioned I love J? He's earned the nickname "Groom on Fire" after he drew a sketch of our venue for the DJ, complete with shepherd's hooks on the water line.
All in all, yesterday we tried 95% of the things on our menu. Y'all, get ready, it was soooo good. Every single bit of it. We also added two things to our cocktail hour menu that will knock your socks off. We left our tasting feeling really good that we'll be offering an exceptional meal to our loved ones.
And now I know I'm going to call cake place #1 and ask to order samples specifically in our flavors (with the right fillings). But I'm pretty sure the chapter on cake is open and shut. Mmmm.
And now I'm hungry.

2 comments:
Mmm...now I'm hungry, too :)
LOL - thats all I have to say. :)
Post a Comment