Sunday, March 9, 2008

Baby Bowels and the Bouncing Bosom

My boyfriend's sister had a baby on Leap Day, so we drove up to spend the day with them yesterday (and in my case, meet his sister and bro-in-law for the first time as well). On her 8th day of life outside the womb, we got to meet beautiful baby Berkley, and boy oh boy was she amazing. Not only was she absolutely gorgeous, but it was pretty fantastic to see the man you love holding a teensy baby...and he was so captivated by her the whole day long. The only time the baby wasn't cradled in someone's arms was when we ate dinner, and ever time Berkley would make any noise in her baby bed, J would shout, "I'll check on her!" and run over and dote on her. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen.


Berkley was so easy-going that J and I pretty much alternated holding her most of the day. Well, on my last turn holding her before we left, it was about 5 minutes after her dinner, and about 3 minutes after her most recent burping. J's sis asked me if I wouldn't mind holding Berkley "up" on my chest for awhile. I said sure...and it was really nice because she was snoozing away peacefully...only making a few precious noises ever few minutes...smelling delightfully soft and baby-esque. And then it happened.

During the middle of a story told by J's very animated father, Berkley channeled her uncle's trombone impression and let one rip! Let's just say this 8 pound angelic baby decided to impersonate a 45-year-old man who'd been at a chili cookoff all day. And she did it loudly and proudly. Loud enough so that J and I both laughed non-stop for about 10 minutes. I couldn't stop myself, but had to somehow get it under control for the sole fact that I had a sleeping baby on my bosom, and she was getting bounced all over the place due to my uncontrollable giggles. I'd pull it together finally and then start up again thinking about the tiny pink Dutch oven that Berkley had just made under that blanket. So needless to say, this tiny amazing baby stole our hearts...and appetites...
My response? "Well I guess I just bring out the best in people."

1 comments:

Lowa said...

What a precious little baby! :)