Being snowed out is the opposite of being snowed in. Let me elaborate.
On Friday at work, in the 70 degree weather, the inclement weather email came out, warning everyone about potential winter weather conditions on Sunday/Monday. Ok, sure. It's 70 degrees outside! Saturday's all-day nasty rain threatened to dampen (but did not) Berkley's first birthday party and then later going to watch J's mama performance (she's in the symphony's choir). But more on that later.
The rain continued alllll day yesterday, too. It kept us inside most of the day. Last night during my phone date with LEMonade things finally broke loose. I'm sitting at my office, starting to work on our design when -- LIGHTS OUT. The balcony door blew open. The pure blackness surrounded me and I started freaking out a little. After bidding a sudden adieu to Miss Lauren, I set out in the blackness of the condo, arms outstretched and using my cell phone as a mini flashlight, looking for J or the babies. We lit every candle we have, and it was a beautiful little haven...albeit freezing and very quiet. We decided to play Clue because it seemed like the right thing to do, but then realized 3 players are needed -- dang it!
Then this morning. Oh this morning. J had to be at work at 6, and I figured if there was snow on the ground, he definitely would've said something to me. And since he left for work with a regular good-bye kiss, I figured I'd be on my way to work shortly. So the snow on the rooftops, balcony, streets and cars was a huge surprise! The wind's a howling out there, blowing flurries around. The blue-gray skies were ominous when I took the dogs outside, doing my best to avoid the scenario running through my head: being pulled down the arctic street by my newly-transformed huskies...mush! mush! This girl's snow boots were in the backseat of my car...fantastic planning, right? As I scraped the 2 inches of snow and ice off my car I couldn't help being grateful for my Midwestern roots. I looked around at my neighbors and a few were using make-shift scrapers. One was using a teeny squeegee. Being my father's daughter, I've got a 3-foot-long monster that just busted right through this East Coast snow.
I started to inch my way down the road. A few intersections were a little slick, but nothing I couldn't handle. I turned onto the entrance ramp of the Midtown tunnel to find a neon-clad VDOT worker detouring traffic away from the entrance. CLOSED. Try again later.
I've called my boss and informed him I'll be trying again at noon. Have to say, it's the first time I've wanted to go to work, and not been able to get there. Pity. Now I'll have to squeeze in another cup of coffee and a snuggle with the pups during some righteous daytime telly.

0 comments:
Post a Comment