Yesterday marked the one-week mark of Justin's cold, and the 2-day mark of my own. That's right, for a whole week I kept the sniffles at bay, but they've since descended on me. We were supposed to go to a birthday dinner on Saturday but there was no way that was happening, so we did what we do best; retreat into hermitville. After renting a movie, we made a comfort food feast that would delight any 80 year old: brussel sprouts and chicken soup. It's my mom's chicken soup recipe that we used to make together before I moved out here, and shouldn't everyone have one of those in their arsenol? If you don't, I'll my mom's with you.
Christmas Confetti Chicken Soup
2 c. cooked chicken
6 c. chicken broth
1 package of frozen spinach (thawed/drained/chopped)
1/2 red pepper finely chopped
1/4 onion finely chopped
1/2 t. nutmeg
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1/2 c. fat free half and half (optional)
(I cook the chopped chicken in the soup pot and then remove and set to the side). Saute red pepper, onion in butter until soft. Add flour, stir, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and let come to a boil and reduce down for about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach, nutmeg, and chicken. If you want, stir in the half and half at the end. The end result is a lovely pot of greens and reds, hence the name.
It's really good, and easy to make, and it makes enough to feed a small army of sick people. I came home today at noon, ate some soup, drank some theraflu, slipped on my eyemask and fell asleep until 6. Delicious!
Monday, April 7, 2008
Chicken soup for Stacy's soul
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Sounds yummy. Hope you're feeling better today :)
Post a Comment