Saturday, January 17, 2009

Newt on the Loose

I haven't had a chance to mention the new additions to the family.  J purchased 3 new fish to join the babies.  I got to name one.  The obvious choice was Sasha Fierce.  Duh. But J also bought two fire-bellied newts, Fig and Isaac *isn't he clever*.  And I hate them.  I mean they're cute, but I hate the idea of them being in the house with me.  And their tiny little feet creep me out.  The one thing I said to J was, "You better make sure they don't get out of that tank."


So you can understand my surprise when I get home from my 10.5 hour day at the office today to hear that a newt has disappeared.  Newts don't disappear.  They're obviously the predator in the tank, nobody ate them.  I don't know if it's Fig or Isaac who's on the lam, but one of them took off. One of them packed their emotional baggage and got the heck out.  Don't know how, don't know when, but one is missing.  There were no tiny newt footprints in water to follow, no clues to his whereabouts.

I can just feel his beady little eyes on me now.  Perhaps it was my experience in college when we lived in the Mouse House that one night a mouse showed up in my bedroom. We made eye contact for several seconds before I screamed my head off (and didn't sleep a wink).  This newt will show up in my bedroom I just know it. 

I've just been alerted that Fig is the missing Newt.  Damn you, Fig, you were my favorite of the two.  I will not walk around barefooted or in the dark until you have been found, dead or alive.  For your sake, I hope you do not run into your furry brother or sister.  They may not eat you, Fig, but they'll roll on your ass until you die from it.  My advice to you is run.  Run far away.

1 comments:

AndyandLex said...

S - I seriuosly needed to read this post just now. It just about made me pee myself laughing...and few things these days (post pregnancy) bring me near that point. Thank you for your fabulous sense of humor, creativity in naming life's smallest grossest (sp?) creatures, and the ability to make a gal laugh. You're fab.