Friday, January 9, 2009

The Pros and Cons of Working Late

So we've stepped right into busy season at work and I'll be working extended hours as well as mandatory Saturdays for the foreseeable future.  Possible Sundays.  I can honestly tell you the first thought that ran through my head was, "Is it too late to get a weekend job so I can tell them I have to work?" followed by a close second, "What if I taught Sunday School?" tailed by a reluctant, "Yes, I'll be here..."


In preparation of my new lifestyle, I'm tallying up some good old pros and cons:

Pro: 
1. They feed me a delicious lunch every day.  So I'm saving money by not having to pay for my own lunches, and if I can continue to order a salad then I'm being healthy.
2. The workday flies by so fast that it actually feels shorter than when I work 7:30 to 4.
3. The delirium sets in at 4 and the rest of the day is spent in a daze.

Con:
1.  I am home for like 3 hours and then I've got to go to bed.
2.  My laundry is piling up.
3.  Poor J is picking up my slack with household duties.  I tease him sometimes that he's the best housewife ever.  I'm realizing now that he's actually THE best.  He cooks, he cleans, he tends to the pooches, coordinates necessary evils like visits from the Terminex man, the cable guy, today's window installation.
4.  I feel like time is flying by.  These are precious months to me and I feel out of control and like I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be the day before Lauren's wedding.
5.  I'm turning into a whiney baby.  Reference how long my cons list is growing.

In non-work news, my mother's dearest friend Betty Nell passed away earlier this week.  It's been a sad time at the Nickels house and I wish I could be there for my Mom and Dad.  She's been sick for quite some time and she was "ready" as I guess you could say.  When I visited her while I was home, I was shocked at how much she'd changed since I saw her when I was at home this summer.  She's seriously in a much better place now, and there's never been a time I thought I'd say those words and mean them.  The only things that's comforted me about my parents' grief is the day before she slipped into a coma-like sleep, my parents went over to her house and made a big waffle breakfast for her and every one of the gang that was taking part in caring for Betty Nell.  I know they'll be able to cherish that memory forever.  I need to stop whining now and get myself to work.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Awww...I agree that she is in a better place. And so happy you were able to go visit and all be together one last time.

emmy-ray said...

What is your new address? I have something I've been meaning to send you, but I thought I'd wait til after the big move.

Jmeg said...

sorry to hear about Betty. i know it is hard to think of someone being in a better place. glad you parents are such good people and could touch her life. good luck with work. i was impressed that you were able to find such positives. J deserves a cookie, or how about a big ol bag of candy!