
J was off today and decided to go visit his Grandaddy in Moon, Virginia. It's a little town; I don't know the population, but I'd guess 3. When we went to visit last year, it certainly felt like it was just us and Grandaddy. Amazing solitude, beautiful land, breathtaking private coves...simply paradise. Grandaddy, a young 93, is seriously one of the most amazing men I've had the pleasure of meeting. So learned, when you talk to him you get the feeling that he's experienced everything. From his smooth lines (the first time I hugged him, his hearing aide buzzed and he said to me slyly, "It buzzes when a pretty girl is nearby."), to his knowledge of the outdoors, to his vast collections of just about everything -- he's someone you just want to visit. So when J told me this week he was taking another trip up to visit, it got me thinking about our last visit. And just how badly I want to go back.
His huge barn (pictured above) was a treasure trove of all things antique. Home to many a canoe and kayak, as well as the perfect baby blue life vest he let me borrow, that barn has stories to tell and secrets to keep. It's where I saw my first Barn Swallow. It's where I felt such a feeling of peace staring out to the water from the oversized windows on the second floor, surrounded by the best smelling air this side of Tennessee.

Miss Mary knee-deep in mud -- her favorite place to be!

Captain J, master canoe wave-jumper

Canoeing in the middle of the sound, in quite deep water,
willing Mary to be still and symmetrical so we wouldn't tip over.

Parked at our beach. J loves this picture.
"This is my cove!"
And the ultimate surprise? Someone else got to go along today. Yes, while I worked 11 hard hours, Mr. Leo frolicked, played, ran, and sniffed every inch of that land. I can't wait for my team to get home so I can hear allll about it and see alllll the pictures. Waiting in their food bowls are 2 bones I picked up tonight at the store, a special treat for my stinky tired worn-out babies. I'm sure a post is in order.
0 comments:
Post a Comment