Sunday, June 29, 2008

Apparently, people like to surprise me this month


As 6PM Saturday rolled around, J and I set off for my friend Robin's house. Dressed to impress in my new $16 party dress, with my mini cheeseburger cookies in tow, I was ready to hang out, and just be for a little. That is, until the moment we drove up to Robin's house. I said, "J, who's that guy on the porch who looks like Jon?" He said, "Oh I think that's Josh." I yelled, "NO, THAT'S JON!!!!!" And after shrieking for a moment in the car, I pulled it together and hugged him with all my might. Jon, my dear boy, who moved to Florida 8 months ago decided to surprise his gals and fly back for the weekend; for the party on Saturday and a day of floating off the dock today.

*Please note that up until last weekend when LEMonade surprised the holy mayonnaise out of me by popping in from Cali, I don't truly think I've ever been surprised. I mean, my 5th grade friends threw me a "surprise" party for my going away, but it was executed by, well, umm, 5th graders, and you've got to get a little earlier in the morning to pull one over on this gal. SOooOOOoo, I thought I'd had the fill of my 2008 surprises by seeing LEM last weekend. Apparently not, said my Viriginia friends.*

So we spent the evening laughing, talking, snacking, singing, and a little more giggling. I know most of you, dear blog readers (all what, 8 of you? Maybe 9 if I threaten J with an eyebrow plucking session) have never had the pleasure of meeting Jon but boy, did my soul miss him. He was my best guy friend, my platonic soulmate, my favorite brunch partner, my dog-sitter, my nurse when I got sick--I believe the term "non-boyfriend" comes to mind, because we were never involved in anyway, but we loved each other whole-heartedly. He brought his guitar and we sat on the porch for a long time listening to Jon and Jamie play their acoustics. After everyone left or went inside and it was just the three of us out there, Jamie started to sing, and she's got the most beautiful voice but she hates singing in front of people--it was all very Coyote Ugly, just without all the bare mid-riffs and bad acting.
And the last song of the evening was Jon's and he prefaced it with this, and I'm pretty sure I'm quoting him here, "The truth is, anytime I hear Elton John, I think of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and then I think of Stacy because she's from Kansas. And so when I learned to play this Elton song, I also thought of Stacy. And everytime I play it, I think of you and I get a little verklempt. So, this song is for you, Stacy." And then he played and sang, "Daniel." I was too flushed with happiness to be sad...it was a moment of such appreciation and love that I wanted to stop him from playing just so I could hug him. He and Jamie and I sang it to the top of our lungs, and I made a memory of their faces lit by candlelight as we crooned the lyrics.
At the risk of sounding cheesy, which honestly is fine with me--I love cheese after all--I'm going to say that Jon is a star in the face of my sky. And seeing him was like getting a lovely reminder of how important it is to always surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Almost to the point of pants-peeing, if not completely past it.




0 comments: