I am supposed to be at a conference right now. The 2008 Joint Warfighting Conference. Why am I not there, you ask? Please refer to the name again. Ugh. I went this morning, had a bagel and some coffee, made some small talk with Bob, ate a cookie, sat through a briefing about health programs for soldiers, and high-tailed it out of there. I did, however, stop by the General Dynamics booth and picked up a gratis red beach mat. Isn't that nice? My employer gave me some tchotchkes! Thanks, GD!
I came home and took Leo to the kennel so I don't get caught in rush hour later taking him out to the beach. There was a new kennel attendant...Leo did not like her. He was shaking and had his tail tucked, and kept glancing at me like, "Don't you dare leave--don't you DARE!" But I did. And right before new girl took him around the corner to go back to the play area (that's what I tell myself it's called) he jumped up at me, like trying to jump into my arms. I reached out and kissed him and touched his swirly spot on his chest, and said, "Bye, buddy. Love you." And I almost choked up. It never gets easier leaving him.
The only comforting factors in this are two-fold: right now Mary is sitting beside me, staring at me with her lovely human eyes and crossed paws. She doesn't get dropped off to J's parents' house until tomorrow evening. Also, this time tomorrow I'll be in KC. And my dad told me that Ruby will sleep with me if I want. Umm...yes, please.

0 comments:
Post a Comment