Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lists of lists (of lists)

I find that when I'm feeling rushed/anxious/strapped for "me time" I like to make lists. Lists to help me remember what I've got to. Sometimes lists of things that I've already accomplished, just because it feels so good to check them off. Buy dress for wedding on Saturday -- CHECK! But tonight I've just got to do a little more verbal dumping so I can read my book and go to bed.

1. So the wildfires down in North Carolina are still a-raging. Know how I know? Because the past 4 days have smelled like a campfire outside. Tonight it's so bad that there is no breeze so the smoky smell is just hanging in the air. It looks like very thick fog...pretty spooky.

2. I'm feeling awfully grateful for a giggly baby girl in North Carolina (no correlation to said wildfires). Alexe', you are such a wonderful mommy and I plan on telling Lallie Beth how extraordinary her mother is someday. Hugs, my dear.

3. It's been extremely hot in Norfolk since Friday. I believe the heat index today was something crazy like 115? Insane. I of course don't know, because I work in a cement shoebox with no windows. For the first time today, I was thankful for that.

4. I got my hair redone tonight. Last week's 'do ended up a little odd. The top layer "grabbed" the color more than the rest, and I kind of looked like Elvira. Not really, but compared with my pale-ish dishwater reddish hair I walked in with, I felt very emo. Now, I'm much happier with the gold woven through it. Whew!

5. J just told me about a website http://www.nintendo8.com/. You can play any old-school Nintendo game online...I fear I may never sleep again. Have I mentioned how awesome I was in Contra?

6. Something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the fact that my father raised me to be just as neurotic as he is about mouth noises. Mouth noises are defined as any noise that comes from the mouth aside from speaking, laughing, singing, and belching (technically belching is grouped into that category, but they do not bother me). Smacking your lips, chewing loudly, sucking on hard candy, tongue clicking, whistling = all annoy me to the point of almost insanity. I can't help it. I was raised by a man who was probably raised by someone who also hated those sounds, and now I can't stand it. I realize that there's no way to change the world (just those around me, right? hehe) so I need to somehow, someway, deal with this. Until I find the strength, I'll just continue leaving the room, or turning my iPod up louder.

7. We may've found a place to live. I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything (lies, lies) but my friend Chris is being stationed in France for 2 years (hello, awesome!?) and he's looking to rent out his condo, which just so happens to be across the street from J's current place. AKA the neighborhood we want to stay in. Well, umm, I happen to know some tenants who would just love to take care of his lovely 2-bedroom condo with all new appliances and super cute paint job. Guess when he's leaving for France? September...the same month we're looking to cohabitate. It's kismet, it has to be. He also happens to live in the same building as my dear friends Bob and Lauren, and soon to be Bob's girlfriend, AKA my g-friend Christy. In a time of recession and gas prices out the ying yang, one can certainly same some dough living the same building as one's pals. Cross your fingers! :)

8. I'm going to go drink a tall glass of water, perhaps watch 15 minutes of whatever trash is on MTV and then get in bed with my book and my dog. Must not play Contra. Must not play Contra.

1 comments:

AndyandLex said...

Aww, I too am incredibly grateful for my precious giggle box...having harrowing things happen just make me all the more grateful, and of course a bit neurotic. That child has not been in the room without me for 49 hours now. Sad...but understandable.

Love that you have found the near-perfect nesting grounds for future co-habitation. If only they were about 6.5 hours southwest. But Ghent will have to do.